Tonight I sit here trying to wrap my brain around the events
of today…
This morning my Sunday school class had a packing party for
Operation Christmas Child. Father showed
up for this event and He showed off in a mighty way. We packed right around 75 boxes; just one
class alone. That is 75 children around the
world that will receive the gospel, and a box filled with love! 75 boxes out of one class…I can’t to see the
boxes poor in from the entire body, from the community… I cannot wait to get to
the distribution center and see His work being done through this ministry. Amazing.
Then, in service this morning I sat surrounded by a group of
people that Dad has placed into my life – a group of people that have supported
me from the time I was a young child, through every event leading up until
now. I sat this morning listening to the
children sing in the choir (elementary children singing loudly, proudly to our
Father), I listened to our choir lead us in hymns, I listened to the string
band raise their voices…..then I listened to Mitch give a message, an incredible
message that the Father laid upon his heart.
All of this Dad used to remind me the importance of His church; how we
are truly called to live together, worship together, grow, and connect
together. We are called to do life
together. And, in doing life we are
called to support one another through the lowest valleys of life. Because, although this service and this day
was filled with joy and praise, there were people in my church with pain and
hurt. There were people sitting in that
very building of happiness, who were drowning out the music and preaching in
thoughts of pain and hurt.
Today, Dad has shown me numerous times what it means to be
broken hearted for others. Today I heard
of sickness hurting a family, I heard of innocent ones being hurt, I saw
children neglected, and I talked with a teen who broke my heart to pieces.
As a child, I was born into a family I took my family for
granted. Although I saw sickness at a
young age, the Father used that sickness to glorify Him – that was obvious to
me and never a doubt in my mind. He then
blessed my family with a new family – and although I didn’t understand the
merge of our two families, although I didn’t want to accept it at the time (or
for a couple years) – I now see it. I
live a BLESSED life. I have a mother and
step-father who love me unconditionally (no matter how poorly I use to treat
them), I have a sister who has been by my side through thick and thin, I have
step siblings who love me no matter how rude I use to be, I have the absolute
best aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins anyone could ever ask for, Dad
blessed me with G-Parents who love me and my sister like parents would, He
blessed me with the best of friends (who I consider all to be family), He
blessed me with a church family that is unbelievably loving and perfect role
models…..
…I list all of these people because all of these people have
made me who I am today. I am beyond
blessed to have these people in my life.
These people have kept me in line, focused, and driven.
BUT, as I realized tonight some people, some children, are
less fortunate and don’t get to live this picture perfect life. Tonight I met a young girl named A. A is a beautiful, loving child. However, she was born into a rough situation
which has led her to traveling down the wrong road in life. A began smoking weed at age 5, began shooting
up at age 12….got caught and now at age 15 is living in a home away from her
family. As I spoke with A tonight she
told me how her body is now use to this way of life. Weed was nothing to her body. Although I tried to encourage her, it was
almost as if this way of life was all she knew – she had not hope, no ambition
of truly changing gears; the change was only a temporary fix in which she hoped
may continue upon being released in December.
As I talked to A my heart just broke into pieces for her. I tried to explain to her that this was not
the Father’s desire for her; she was created to be more, to be something far
better. Although she understood that, we
all know that habits are hard….and that being surrounded by the habit makes it
that much harder to break. A wants to be
in the military when she grows up – she has that hope, that dream to hold on
to.
Today, I learned that not everyone is as fortunate as I
am. Today I saw that some children are
not as fortunate to have a family that keeps you inline and set an example for
you. BUT, at the time of realizing this,
I was also reminded that, that is what His body, His church is for! We are called to reach these lost
friends. Just because these children,
the people, do not look like us – just because they may look different, act
different, think differently than we do – we are called, as His body, to reach
them! So, as you go this week I ask that
you pray for A. I ask that you pray for
the Father to give her the strength she needs to overcome this, I ask that you
pray for the Father to provide a stable person in her life that will guide her
through this time and show her that hope and overcoming this battle can only
occur by leaning on Him.
Each person in life has a story. I can admit that I am guilty of running
through life like a wild, crazy animal – I am always in a rush, running from
one place to another. You’ve probably
seen me in Walmart practically running from one side of the store to the other
trying to grab something real quick on the go.
BUT, this week I am going to try to slow down. I am going to see each person before me a
child of Him, who has a story, and I pray that the Father can use me to be of
help to them. I encourage you to do this
as well. As you pray this week, pray
with me that we will have the heart, the eyes, and can feel the pain for each
of His people; just as He does. In praying
this prayer, we will be more apt to slow down, connect, and relate to His
people.
In His Name,
Sam

No comments:
Post a Comment