Saturday, August 23, 2014

Filtering....

This past week I have been so incredibly convicted of something that absolutely breaks my heart…and it is something that I just feel I must share with you all. 

As a child of the Father I know that I am called to spend time with Him each day - digging into His Word and conversing with Him through prayer.  Although I became a believer at a young age, this quiet time with the Father was never something that I truly understood and made time for each day….However, I can tell you today that it is something that I worked diligently on making time for within this past year.  This time that I am able to spend with the Father each day is beautiful – as I am able to be taught, fed, encouraged, uplifted, and challenged.  This part of my day is something that I truly cherish and long for each morning as I begin my day. 

But, here lately this time has been getting shafted. 

As a part of this ever changing, fast pace society, life has become very busy lately.  My nights no longer revolve on a grandma schedule – as they require me to stay up much later.  And, my mornings seemingly begin earlier and earlier, as I try to squeeze as much as possible into the day.
 
So as a person who loves to go, go, go…as a person who loves to be involved, be hands on, be interactive, be in constant communication and engaging in life….This past week I have seemingly found myself becoming majorly unfocused.  I have found myself not able to concentrate on any one thing; because I am constantly thinking about so many other things in that exact moment. 

In the morning, during my time with the Father, I have begun to find myself having to go back and reread the passage over again – because I can’t for the life of me recall what I just read one minute prior.  Often times, these random thoughts, or tasks, seemingly cause me to end up shifting my quiet time with the Father to a time other than the morning…or worse, I just perhaps end up cutting it short. 

In daily conversations with people, I continue to find myself saying, “huh” “what” “say that again” “okay, I’m listening now”……

Through this crazy, busy life – I am finding myself seemingly killing myself to engage in everything there possibly is to do.  But, in doing that, the quality of which I am engaging and doing things is much less than my very best.  Instead of being whole heartedly into one thing and giving it my all for a designated amount of time, I tend to give it about fifty percent – because I am too focused on life’s next upcoming event.

SO, just the other day a friend sent me this picture….People in Europe take their coffee seriously….(Don’t tell people you drink instant coffee or love Starbucks – you’ll get judged for sure)


Throughout this week, I have thought about this particular image often.
 
The point of the filter is to allow a wonderful substance (grounded coffee beans) to be turned into something that one can enjoy – coffee.  Coffee is a substance in which awakens one for the day.  It is something fulfilling, something that is sustainable, something that is energizing….that is rejuvenating.  It provides a substance that makes any bad, exhausting morning, a bit more thrilling and bright!

But, as I sat pondering the busyness of life, and the conviction I have been having this past week, I couldn’t help but think to myself….what do I need to filter out of my life; in order to allow my cup to be filled with Him each morning.

His Word should be the “coffee” that my body requires each morning – His Word fills me, sustains me, energizes me, and rejuvenates me.  So, why am I cutting back my time in His Word, why am not focusing on the Word as I read it, why am I not giving Him 110% of me during time….why am I filtering Him out, and allowing other worldly things to be filtered in?!?

There is something wrong with this.

So this upcoming week, I am striving to not only fill my cup with Him each morning – but, I am seeking for it to overflow.  Perhaps this may mean that I have to filter out other things.  Perhaps I will have to learn to say no (although that can be hard) to other events, and so forth…..But, without Him, nothing else is possible.  My day is nothing without starting it off with Him first.  Giving Him fifty percent of me is not an option this week…I want all of Him.  I want to walk with Him, grow with Him, learn from Him, seek Him.  And allow everything to filter in after, slowly dripping in drop at a time.   

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Sam. By the way, I think that the HS is the filter that helps us.

    ReplyDelete