This past week has been a really big whirl wind – as I have
been filled with every emotion one could possibly have, from moments of sheer
happiness and laughter to moments of breakdown and heart breaks.
In the past couple of weeks though there have been a couple
of words and lessons that the Father has been trying to teach me.
Although I was always His and He has always been mine, I don’t
think that I truly understood the meaning of truly loving Him above all
else. Just a few days ago my second
niece was born – a lifetime event that I missed due to training, knowing I
could never go back and have done over again.
This proved to be very hard for me.
Although I tried to pull myself together during the day, I found myself
breaking down that night as I continued to get the pictures and updates about
this sweet, precious addition to our family.
If you know me well, you know I don’t miss out on family things – this
was the first event I have missed. But,
as I sat selfishly crying, because I couldn’t be there, one of my dear friends
came in and provided me with some words of encouragement.
She brought M@tthew 10:37 to my attention:
“If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or If you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it. Anyone who receives you receives me, and anyone who receives me receives the Father who sent me.”
“If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or If you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it. Anyone who receives you receives me, and anyone who receives me receives the Father who sent me.”
And yet again, upon hearing and reading these Words written
my Him, I couldn’t help but realize something I had been missing, something I
had failed to do…..I think, shamelessly, it is safe to say that I have probably
loved my family and friends more than I have loved the Father most of my
life. Although my love for Him continues
to grow daily and I understand His love for me, I have never TRULY, whole
heartedly loved Him above everything else in my life – especially my
family.
So, on this night, I learned this hard lesson. As His follower, I am called to place Him
first. He is a jealous G0d – one that
wants my all, one that wants me to love Him first. And there is no way that I can go overseas
and love my family and friends more than I love Him – I cannot possibly share effectively
the love He has for us, I cannot fully be with Him if I do not love Him more
than this life He has blessed me with here on this earth. He must be the consumer of my heart. My love, my passion, my relationship with Him
should be so incredibly strong and powerful that none other could possibly
compare.
As this realization set in, my heart just broke; I realized
I have spent all of these years still not fully grasping the realization of
what I was doing. During these next two years
there will be a lot of things that I will miss out on here at home, there will
be times where my heart is saddened for being away from dear family and friends
– yet, what I have come to realize is that my love for Father should be so incredibly
great that I’m okay with missing those things, because I know I am in His will
for my life.
….But, as I say this, this realization continues to get
harder and harder for me. The Father is
continuing to show me this lesson and make sure that I realize the vastness
that I am supposed to love Him, and how in loving Him I am called to trust Him
with every fiber of my being.
As last Wednesday came, the family came up for my ceremony
at training. Although this was a
beautiful day celebrating the calling of so many sent out ones, my heart was yet
again breaking – but breaking in ways that I didn’t know how to handle my
emotions. So, I as I went through the motions
of Wednesday, I was in a fog for sure.
It was Thursday morning that I broke down and fell apart.
You see, the chemo that Eddie has been taking should have
zapped the cancer. It is one of the
highest forms of chemo – yet, it didn’t work.
Although those particular spots have not grown, they have not decreased
either and other places have appeared.
So, in saying that, we are kind of stuck at a cross point on what
direction to take.
So this week we have appointments every day. Today he has a simple booster shot here in
Elkin. Then tomorrow we will be going to
Duke to get a second opinion from them – and see some of their options. Then, on Wednesday, we will be going to
Baptist to do scans of the liver area to check certain spots to see if they are cancerous or not. If they appear to be cancerous in the scans,
the next step will be to biopsy them at some point. On Thursday, we will also be meeting with a
radiologist to see about radiation treatments for the spot on Eddies head. As this spot has grown in size, it is now
becoming a concern and we are looking to see if radiation is the best option
for it. Then, on Friday, we will be
going back to Baptist again to speak with their doctors about clinical trial
options.
So in saying that we have a VERY big week ahead of us. Right now we have no news that is 100%
certain. The doctors cannot promise us
anything. As Eddie will be completing
round six of chemo next week, there are decisions that must be made. There is another form of chemo that can be
taken, but the percentage of effectiveness is love - for this particular type
of cancer. OR, we can choose to do clinical
trial options. And, in doing clinical trials,
although we are leaning towards one that is done by Baptist – there are still
other hospitals that we might could possibly work with, or they may say
something completely different. We are
currently looking at a hospital in Pennsylvania and one in Texas has been
suggested, as well as a couple others.
As you can see there is A LOT to figure out and A LOT of
decisions to be made.
SOOOOOOO, in saying all of this, we are asking for your pr@yers
during this time. I am asking you to pr@y
first and foremost that we continue to see His will in all of this, and are
filled with a peace and knowledge that only the HS can provide us with. We have no doubt that He is holding us,
holding Eddie, in the palm of His hand right now. We have no doubt that He will be glorified in
this in some way. But, it is also
seemingly easy to get frustrated and down.
So please pr@y that as we go to all of these appointments this week that
we will continue to see Him in all of this, and that we are given uplifted
spirits to stay positive and strong in Him.
We have no idea at all why this is happening and we don’t even try to
pretend that we do – BUT, we know that He knows the plan and that His plan is
far greater than anything we could ever fathom.
Pr@y that we are given clarity from Him on what direction
and steps to take next – whether that is the other form of chemo or the clinical
trials – and if we do clinical trials which hospital to work with. We are seeking clarity from Him on what
direction to take next. Pr@y for the
doctors and that they continue to be bold, truthful, and honest. Pr@y that they too are seeking Him in all of
this, and are in His will for this plan.
And lastly, please pr@y for us as family. Pr@y for Ed to stay positive, to stay upbeat,
to stay strong in Him. Right now it is
easy to give up and give in, but that isn’t Eddie. He is a fighter, and even more, he knows that
He has a plan for his life. Pr@y through
it all that Eddie continues to seek Him, feel Him, and is filled daily with the
HS’s peace beyond all understanding. Pr@y for my sweet mama – that she remains
strong. She is toughest woman I
know. We know that the Father will never
give us more than we can handle WITH Him.
Through my entire life I have seen my mama go through a lot, but not
once has she wavered in her faith with Him.
What a beautiful woman of Him she is.
Please pr@y for her to continue to stay strong and know that He is right
here with her every step of the way. Pr@y
for Alli as she tends to be home the most and is continuing to finish her masters. Pr@y for Fain and Josh – that they continue
to be strong and rely on Him for understanding through this all. Pr@y for Liv, as she is about to have the two
babies to herself, while Jamie is gone.
And last, pr@y for Jamie and I as we are both about to leave our family
in a time like this. Pr@y for Jamie’s
safety during his deployment.
….To be honest with you, to be as transparent as I can be, I
don’t want to leave right now. Leaving
my family during this time is not ideal and if I had it my way I would move my
time back a bit, so that I could stay home.
But, I know that is not what I am called to do. Again, Father calls us to LOVE HIM more than
anything or anyone else – and in loving Him we are called to trust Him with the
other things in life that we love. So
although leaving here, in just one week, is super hard – what a comfort it is to
know that the Father has His hand on them and is taking care of them. Father’s love for Eddie is a love so great, I
cannot comprehend it. In Luk, JC tells
us “And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid…” Ps@lm 139 reminds us so beautifully of His
love for us and His knowledge of our life; as we are reminded that He knew us
before we were born – He knit us together so delicately in our mother’s womb –
He hears our hearts cry and knows our every thought.
Although I love Eddie and my family, I cannot comprehend the
love that the Father has for them. So
within His words, I find the peace and comfort that I need during this
time. But, please pray that I continue
to take time daily this week to constantly dig into His word and spend precious
alone time with the Father each day.
Pray that the HS removes the sadness in my heart, overwhelms me with joy
while I am home with my family this week, and provides me with a peace like none
other for leaving.
We need your prayers during this time. We are so incredibly blessed with a wonderful
support system that we are forever grateful for, and right now I am asking you
to pray for my sweet family in this week and the weeks to come.
Is 41:9-10
“I have called you back from the ends of the earth, saying, ‘You
are my servant.’ For I have chosen you
and will not throw you away. Don’t be
afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be
discouraged, for I am your God. I will
strengthen you and help you. I will hold
you up with my victorious right hand.”
My words to Him are that you will all feel His loving arms around you!
ReplyDelete