Last night all 9 of us –Ed, Mom, Fain, Josh, Jamie, Liv,
Haddy, Alli, and I- spent the night ringing in the New Year together….and we
wouldn’t have spent it any other way!
Then today, Jamie, Alli, and myself decided to go hiking at Pilot
Mountain! As we hiked the mountain, we
couldn’t help but be in awe. What an
amazing, beautiful place Pilot Mountain is – the view overlooking the
surrounding area is just breathtaking.
We couldn’t help but continue asking ourselves why we had always gone to
Stone Mountain, and never once considered visiting Pilot Mountain….
Then, we came home tonight and as Hadley’s phrase is best - “Papa’s
getting his hair cut.”
Over the course of this past week, the chemo kicked in and Eddie’s
hair began falling out….Tonight he decided to get “his hair cut.” Tonight Jamie shaved Eddie’s head. Although we knew this day would come, it
was/is definitely a hard task that one must face when receiving chemo
treatments. BUT, as Alli phrased it
best, “this was a bittersweet moment, because at least we know the chemo is
working!” This daunting task actually
went as perfect as it possibly could have gone!
Over the course of the past week, things have been a little
rocky. Eddie had a cold this past week;
which resulted in him having a temperature and having a terrible cough. Due to one airway being restricted, this
cough made it hard at night for Eddie to receive the sleep that he needed. Then, we were supposed to have started chemo
on Tuesday – which would have resulted in the second round concluding
Friday. But, due to the cold, chemo was
unable to take place. The doctor said
that it would not have been smart for us to do chemo – due to the fact that
Eddie’s body was fighting a cold already, lowering the counts with chemo would
not have been beneficial. So, the game
plan right now is to start chemo on Monday and continue through Wednesday. Please just continue to pr@y that we continue
to get rid of this cold – as Eddie has felt better the past day or two – so that
we can keep on schedule and continue with round two on Monday!
But, in saying all of this, I just have to say that as this
year, 2014, has arrived, I honestly could not be more thankful for the family
that Father has blessed me with.
As we have had a couple of sleepless nights here at the
house, I have spent a lot of time in pr@yer and a lot of time reflecting upon
how much my family truly means to me.
Fifteen years ago tomorrow, the Father chose my dad to join
Him in He@ven. Yes, my dad meant the
world to me…I would be lying to you if I told you I didn’t miss him today. There have been events over the course of the
past fifteen years that I would have given anything for him to be at….But, I
cannot help but to smile when I think what an amazing example he was – what an
inspiration his story and faith in the Father was to all those who he came in
touch with. I find strength in knowing
that although dad wasn’t at games, graduations, and major life events, I KNOW
beyond a shadow of a doubt that he
joined my He@venly Father in the clouds, and together they both watched these
events – smiling and laughing the whole
way through. I find peace in knowing
that I will see Him one day.
But, as dad was called up to be with the Father, Father sent
another blessing my way – a blessing in which it took me years to understand,
accept, appreciate, and love. Father
sent Eddie to my mom, Alli, and I. And
with Eddie came Fain and Jamie!
I will be the first to admit that accepting these three into
our family, was NOT something that I initially wanted. In fact, I tried to push them away as hard as
anyone possibly could….I did and said everything and anything mean that could possibly
be said….I was not a fan of Eddie and my mom being together, and in no way did I
want more siblings. I wanted anything
but this, and it was obvious to all…..
But today, as I think back to that time, I am ashamed of who
I was, what I did, and how I acted. And,
I am beyond thankful that my mom and Eddie were stubborn enough to stick it out
- believing and loving each other the whole way through…….
As Dad called my dad to join Him in He@ven, He knew all
along that He would be sending us someone equally as great to take care and
provide for Mom, Alli, and I – He also knew to grant Eddie some patience as it
took me a while to adjust. J
Today, as we head into this New Year, I could not be more
thankful for the family that I have! We
may be one crazy bunch, but I wouldn’t want it to be any different.
These past couple months we have laughed, cried, and grown together…and
honestly, I am not sure how we would get through it if it were any different. Although we are facing a difficult time as a
family, we continue to hold our heads high, pull together, keep our faith
strong in Him, and pr@y knowing that He is the one true healer, that holds
every tear we cry, and has our best interest at heart…..Without this we would
be lost…..
But, as the kiddos, we would be lost without the strength of
the parents. During a time when many
could give up, be angry, and just thrown in the towel….Eddie and Mom are doing
the exact opposite. Not once have they
said anything negative. Not once have
they said anything angry. Not once have
they even thought about giving up. No,
they are the definition of strong, positive, and faithful. As the kids, we are blessed to have examples
like this! I ask that you continue to
pr@y for all of us, but particular Eddie and Mom, as we are entering into round
two of chemo. As we know there will be
days of struggle ahead, please pr@y that their spirits stay positive, strong,
and faithful just as they have always been!
Dad blessed me with an amazing family, and I cannot wait to
see what He does for us, through us, and in us during 2014! As we are facing Eddie’s cancer, and as that
is our number one priority, we are also facing many other changes this year as
a family – many thrilling changes that we are all looking forward to going
through together! We know 2014 is a BIG
year, and find comfort in knowing that everything that happens must first go
through His hands!


.jpg)
Thank you Sam for such an honest and uplifting post. It takes a very strong woman to say all that you wrote. God has certainly blessed you and will continue to do so. We are constantly praying for Eddie and your Mom. They are both very special to me. And thanks for calling the church the other day and asking us to be a prayer partner for you! I can't wait for you to start your adventure in following God's call in your life!
ReplyDeleteCricket- thank you so much for the prayers; you mean a lot to our family! It was great talking to you the other day! I appreciate Jonesville First Baptist being a part of my pr@yer warriors! It means so much to know that people here at home are supporting me and my team!
DeleteYou can count on prayers from all of us Sam. If you all need ANYTHING we are here just waiting to help. I love you all so much, Aunt Cathy
ReplyDeleteAunt Cathy, thank you for the prayers! We love all of you so much and appreciate y'all's support! We must have a family fathering before I leave in March!!
Delete